Skip to main content

Full text of ""Ecclesia plantanda"; the story of 125 years planting--expanding--promoting the Church by Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1846-1971"

See other formats




3 1833 02481 0233 



Gc 977.202 F77kra 
Krauss, Paul Hartzell 
"Ecclesia plantanda" 



(Urimtg iEttgltatj IGutljrratt (Eljurrfj 




3axX Hagne, JttMatta 
1B4H-19H 

INDIANA COLLECTION 



Rev. Paul Hartzell Krauss, D.D. 



iErrlma jUatttanua 



The Story of One Hundred Twenty -five Years 

Planting- -Expanding- -Promoting 

the Church 

by 

Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Congregation 

of Fort Wayne, Indiana 

1846 - 1971 

Rev. Paul Hartzell Krauss, D.D. 



Fort Wayne Public Library 

Fort Wayne, Indiana 

1971 



Mte n County Public LibtatJ 
^Street 

PO Box 22' J . K oni-2270 



\, 




! 



! 



Organ Screen 



CONTENTS 

Foreword 

Preface 

Chapter Page 

I. First Evangelical Lutheran Church of 
Fort Wayne (named St. Paul's Church), 

1837-1845 1 

II. Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran 

Church, 1846-1868 5 

III. The Pastorate of the Rev. Samuel 
Wagenhals, 1868-1920 13 

IV. The Pastorate of the Rev. Paul H. 

Krauss, 1920-1970 16 

V. The Pastorate of the Rev. Richard G. 

Frazier, 1967- 52 



FOREWORD 

This brochure was requested by the 125th An- 
niversary Celebration Committee of Trinity Church to 
record the unusual religious and cultural influence of 
an historic church over a period of one hundred twen- 
ty-five years in the life of Fort Wayne. The Allen 
County -Fort Wayne Historical Society, through its 
Publications Committee, the Librarian of the Public 
Library, Fred J. Reynolds, and the Librarian Emeri- 
tus, Rex M. Potterf, have arranged for the publication 
of this booklet as a part of its historical community 
service. Our warm appreciation is extended to them 
and also to Mr. and Mrs. J. Howard Wilkens, long- 
time members of Trinity Church, for collaborating in 
the collecting and organizing of the material for this 
booklet . 

That this church has been my parish for fifty 
years may justify my selection for the telling of the 
story. 



Paul H. Krauss 
Pastor Emeritus 
1971 



Bfifttf 



!iSSB^^:*f[| J fffrH-;>l!:;!-;. L I::iiHli: 




HENRY RUDISILL. 



PREFACE 

Thehistory of Trinity English Lutheran Church 
of Fort Wayne is particularly significant for four rea- 
sons: 

1. It is the oldest exclusively English-speaking 
Lutheran Church in northeastern Indiana. 

2. Through its founder, Henry Rudisill, its roots 
go back not only to the beginnings of Fort 
Wayne but of America, through its "grandfa- 
ther" church, Trinity Church, Lancaster, 
Pennsylvania . 

3. It has had an extraordinary experience in hav- 
ing had only two pastors covering a century, 
from 1868-1967. 

4. It has exercised, through an ecumenical, civic 
spirit and an able leadership, a considerable 
influence upon the history of Fort Wayne and 
the Church at large. 



1111 


«l» 1 

i 


1 




3 *W 


ye in 


ij 


\ 






■ 


..*#: Ay 

^Fil ft 






< > '±-j ■ ill 




__ 





Rev. Henry M. Muhlenberg 



I. 

THE FIRST EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN 

CHURCH OF FORT WAYNE (NAMED 

ST. PAUL'S CHURCH), 1837-1845 

"The Church must be planted!" That is the 
ideal which has stirred Christian hearts over the cen- 
turies, not only the hearts of missionaries, priests 
and pastors, but of laymen, traders, trappers, ex- 
plorers ("an endless line of splendor" - -Vachel Lind- 
say calls it) to plant the Cross and build the Church of 
Christ to the ends of the earth. 

Henry Rudisill was one of those laymen. He 
was born August 8, 1801, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 
and was baptized August 30, 1801, in Trinity Lutheran 
Church of Lancaster. (We have in the archives of 
Trinity English Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, a pho- 
tostatic copy of this baptism, recorded in the cramped 
handwriting of the old Parish Registry of that Pennsyl- 
vania church, organized in 1729!) 

The roots of Trinity Church are in the oldest 
Lutheran synod in America, which was founded in 1748 
at St. Michael's Church, Philadelphia, under the lead- 
ership of Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, thirty years 
before the Declaration of Independence was adopted! 
Muhlenberg was the pioneer of the Lutheran Church in 
America. His sons were Lutheran pastors and prom- 
inent in the early history of the United States of Amer- 
ica. Peter was a Revolutionary War general and Gen- 
eral Washington's chief of staff; Frederick served in 
the Continental Congress as president of the Pennsyl- 
vania convention to adopt the United States Constitu- 
tion, and as a member and speaker of the first U.S. 
House of Representatives. Because it was the largest 

1 



Auditorium in the city, the funeral services and ora- 
tion over General Washington, delivered by General 
Henry (Light -Horse Harry) Lee, were held in the old 
Zion Lutheran Church, Philadelphia, one of our oldest 
Lutheran churches in America. One of the least 
known and most interesting incidents of the Revolu- 
tionary period was a declaration of independence, 
called the Mecklenberg Declaration, drawn up by 
North Carolina Lutherans in 1774. The roots of the 
Lutheran Church in America, and of Trinity Church, 
Fort Wayne, reach into this historic background. 

Following the popular slogan of that time: "Go 
west, young man, go west, " Henry Rudisill migrated 
to the town of Lancaster, Ohio, and there married 
Elizabeth Tschantz. (The pulpit in the present church 
is a memorial to Henry and Elizabeth Rudisill, given 
by their daughter, Eliza Rudisill.) Lancaster, Ohio, 
was also the family home of the Wagenhals Family, a 
son of which, Dr. Samuel Wagenhals, served Trinity 
congregation in a great ministry of fifty -two years. 

At Lancaster, Ohio, Henry Rudisill was com- 
missioned by Messrs. Barr and McCorkle, the origi- 
nal United States land agents for the sale of lots in 
Fort Wayne, to represent them in that new frontier 
community at the confluence of the St. Mary's and St. 
Joseph rivers. He came to Fort Wayne in late Decem- 
ber, 1829, to begin this work with his wife and three 
children in a wagon train up the Wayne Trace from 
Lancaster, Ohio. Tradition has it that they were 
mired in the mud on Christmas Eve, 1829, six miles 
southeast of their destination and were forced to spend 
a weary night with the accompaniment of howling 
wolves in the bitter cold of an Indiana winter, albeit 
in a comfortable closed carriage! Morning brought 
two representative citizens, Allen Hamilton and Sam- 
uel Hanna, to escort them to their new home in the 
little village of Fort Wayne. 



Here he purchased land, on what is now Spy 
Run Avenue, on the west side of the St. Joseph River, 
just below the bend at the State Street Bridge. Here 
he helped to lay the foundations of the growing com- 
munity, developing a gristmill, a steam sawmill, a 
tannery, a woolen mill; he served as postmaster for a 
season and promoted the Wabash and Erie Canal. 
Most importantly Henry Rudisill helped to plant the 
Church --the first Lutheran congregation in northern 
Indiana in 1837, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and on 
April 19, 1846, one hundred twenty-five years ago, the 
first exclusively English-speaking Lutheran Church -- 
the Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Church. 

Much of this information was imparted direct- 
ly to the writer by Eliza Rudisill, daughter of Henry. 
For almost a century, until her death at the age of 92 
on December 21, 1929, she was one of the able women 
leaders of the church and community, possessed of 
exceptional force of character, warmth of heart, and 
good judgment. It was said of her, facetiously, that 
she had two great loves, the "English" Lutheran 
Church and the Democratic Party! Those were the 
days when Allen County was called the "Green Spot" 
of that party in Indiana! 

Henry Rudisill' s manorial home on Spy Run 
Avenue was a sort of halfway house where Lutheran 
pastors were made welcome in their circuit -riding 
days through the Middle West. He reserved a "Proph- 
et's Chamber" (cf. 2nd Kings 4:8-10) for the accom- 
modation of traveling missionaries and for distin- 
guished guests. One of them was the famous "Johnny 
Apple seed" --John Chapman byname. He was a pic- 
turesque figure who went up and down Indiana and Ohio 
with bags of apple seeds, planting orchards and, in- 
cidentally, testifying to the strange religious beliefs 
which hehad obtained from the Swedish mystic, Eman- 
uel Swedenborg. Miss Eliza Rudisill remembered 



Johnny Appleseed vividly; he took her on his lap and 
told her "tall tales" about the Indians of the frontier. 

Stephen B. Fleming undertook to establish and 
mark the site of the grave of Johnny Appleseed. After 
conferences with Miss Eliza Rudisill and several oth- 
ers, an official commission composed of Dr. Victor 
H. Hilgemann, Robert Harris, and William Fruechte- 
nicht officially approved the site just north of the St. 
Joseph River near Parnell Avenue in the old Archer 
Cemetery. A marker with an ornamental iron fence 
to surround the grave was provided as a gift by Mr. 
Fleming. This grave site was dedicated by the Com- 
mission at a special ceremony in 1935, and Dr. Krauss 
was invited to lead the dedication ceremony. 

Henry Rudisill was deeply religious. For his 
family and fellow Lutherans he wanted to "Plant the 
Church!" He not only founded Trinity Church but ac- 
tually was the founder of organized Lutheranism in 
northeastern Indiana. He led in the formation of the 
first Evangelical Lutheran Church of Fort Wayne, 
which was named St. Paul's Lutheran Church. This 
church, organized in the Court House October 14, 
1837, called a pastor, Rev. Jesse Hoover from Wood- 
stock, Virginia, and drew up a Constitution written in 
English. Pastor Hoover also served as the first teach- 
er in the First Presbyterian Day School . Two years 
later Pastor Hoover died, and Pastor Friedrich Wyne- 
ken, recently arrived from Germany, followed him 
and lived as houseguest at the Rudisill home for a 
number of months. Since Pastor Wyneken spoke only 
German and the German group increased greatly, this 
church became German, and the Mother Church of the 
Missouri Synod in Fort Wayne. Henry Rudisill, how- 
ever, realized that the language of his children would 
be English, and he wanted the faith of his fathers 
preached in the language of the land. 



n. 

TRINITY ENGLISH EVANGELICAL 
LUTHERAN CHURCH, 1846-1868 

Therefore, he took the lead in organizing an 
exclusively English-speaking church under the name 
of the English Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity, a 
name later changed to Trinity English Evangelical 
Lutheran Church . The Augsburg Confession and Lu- 
ther's SMALL CATECHISM were adopted as its doc- 
trinal basis. Preliminary steps were taken on March 
22, 1846, when a formula of discipline was read, sev- 
eral amendments added, and then signed by a number 
of the brethren in the following four weeks . On April 
19, 1846, the signers met and elected Henry Rudisill 
deacon for two years, Charles Ruch for one year, 
Samuel Cutshall elder for two years, and Emanuel 
Rudisill elder for one year. The Church Council met 
in the German Lutheran Church May 9, elected Henry 
Rudisill president, and appointed a committee of two 
to ascertain on what terms the little old Presbyterian 
Church on Berry Street between Lafayette and Barr 
streets, could be purchased. It was purchased and 
until 1864 was the first home of the congregation. The 
purchase price was $750, $400 of which was in money 
and the balance "in kind, " so many cords of walnut 
timber, so much farm products, and goods for trade. 

The original charter members of the congre- 
gation numbered seventeen: Henry Rudisill, Emanuel 
Rudisill, Samuel Cutshall, John G. Maier, Jacob Kline, 
Charles Ruch, Joseph G. Edwards, Susannah Rudisill, 
Sarah Ruch, Ann Edwards, Elizabeth Rudisill, Henry 
J. Rudisill, Elizabeth J. Maier, Peter Brewer, Judith 
Brewer, Adam Rudisill, and Sarah Rudisill. 

In the early days when the Lutheran Church 
was "finding itself" in this country and when bitter 
synodical controversies split the church into many 




First Home of Trinity Lutheran Church 



discordant sections, Trinity Church occupied a posi- 
tion for which she has been conspicuous ever since- - 
conservative and loyal to true Lutheranism without 
being reactionary, liberal and tolerant without com - 
promise or concession of faith, living in kindly peace 
and friendship with her Christian neighbors. 

The Second Church Home 

Pastor William Albaugh served the new con- 
gregation from 1846 to 1850, the Rev. A. S. Bartholo- 
mew from 1850 to 1856, and the Rev. W. S. Ruthrauff 
from 1858 to 1867. Pastor Ruthrauff was an able pas- 
tor from Virginia, and membership increased. As 
the Church grew a committee was appointed to seek 
out a suitable building site for a more adequate church 
structure; finally land at the southeast corner of 
Wayne and Clinton streets (185 feet on Wayne and 150 
feet on Clinton) was purchased. A comfortable and 
attractive new church was erected. The cornerstone 
was laid July 29, 1863, and the new building, described 
by the local press as one of the most attractive in the 
Middle West, was dedicated March 27, 1864. 

Present at the cornerstone laying of this sec- 
ond church home at Wayne and Clinton streets were 
two members, Miss Eliza Rudisill and Ernest C. 
Rurode, who were also present sixty -one years later 
at the cornerstone laying of the present great church 
at West Wayne and Ewing streets, June 29, 1924. 

On the cornerstone of this second church at 
Wayne and Clinton streets was inscribed "English Lu- 
theran Church of the Holy Trinity, 1863." That cor- 
nerstone was brought over and laid with the corner- 
stone of the new church at Wayne and Ewing streets in 
1924. The sweet -toned tower bell, installed in the 
second church, was first brought over from the little 
chapel on East Berry Street and is now in use in the 




The Second Church Home 



spire of the present church. Originally installed in 
the First Presbyterian Chapel in 1837, it is the oldest 
church bell in continuous use in Fort Wayne; for 134 
years it has tolled for funerals, pealed for weddings, 
and called the faithful to come and worship. A stone 
baptismal font, adorned with white marble plaques of 
the Four Evangelists, was also installed in the chan- 
cel. Brought over to the present church in 1924, it 
has been used continuously for baptizing little ones 
into the fold of Christ the Good Shepherd for one hun- 
dred and six years . 




Second Church Home and Parsonage 

The new church building at Wayne and Clinton 
streets cost $17,200, and a commodious parsonage 
was built to the east of the church! The entire lot 
fronting on Wayne Street was surrounded with an iron 
fence, making it an attractive center of parochial 
beauty in downtown Fort Wayne, only half a block from 
the old Central High School. 



9 



During this period there were two sharply de- 
fined groups in American Lutheranism . There were 
the people of the General Synod, who were drifting 
away from Lutheran confessionalism and customs on 
the waves of pietism, emotionalism, and wild reviv- 
alism that then swept the country; and there were 
those that stressed a severe and rigid Lutheran "or- 
thodoxy." There was a third group, which occupied 
and always has occupied a middle ground, represented 
by the old "Mother Synod," and Ministerium of Penn- 
sylvania, and by the Pittsburgh Synod to which Trinity 
Church belonged. These synods were a part of the 
General Synod, but, because of pietistic developments 
in the General Synod, in 1866 in Trinity Church, Fort 
Wayne, at a meeting of the General Synod the break 
came that resulted in the formation in Trinity Church 
the following year, of the General Council, the medi- 
ating Lutheran Synod of the nineteenth century. Its 
position was soundly Evangelical Lutheran, its prac- 
tical spirit progressive, its attitude toward other 
branches of American Protestant Christianity sympa- 
thetic and charitable. In 1918 old breaches were 
healed by the formation of the United Lutheran Church 
in America by the reunion of the General Synod, the 
General Council, and the Synod of the South. In 1963, 
the United Lutheran Church, together with the Augus- 
tana (Swedish), Suomi (Finnish), and AELC (Danish) 
churches combined to form the present Lutheran 
Church in America. Trinity Church of Fort Wayne 
has thus intimately shared in the historic life of 
American Lutheranism. 

In 1885 the Constitution of the congregation 
was amended to permit women members to vote-- 
perhaps an early "Women's Liberation Movement" in- 
fluence! In the same year a new pipe organ was in- 
stalled, additions made to church and parsonage, and 
a steam heating plant repaired for $12,000. Money 

10 



was worth more then! The practice of renting pews, 
which was standard church practice in earlier days, 
was abolished in 1885. We have in our archives a pew 
rent notice to Mr. C. Wilkens- -grandfather of How- 
ard, Ralph, Helen, Louis, Dorothy, and Alice- -dated 
April 15, 1872, signed by W. H. Brady and J. J. 
Kamm. In 1866 Pastor Ruthrauff returned to Virginia. 
Pastor Kunkelman was called in 1867, remained nine 
months, then returned to the East. 




11 




Rev. Samuel Wagenhals 



III. 

THE PASTORATE OF THE 
REV. SAMUEL WAGENHALS, 1868-1920 

On June 14, 1868, a new day began when a 
young pastor, the Rev. Samuel Wagenhals, was in- 
stalled as pastor of Trinity Church. He served fifty- 
two years --an unparalleled record of great service to 
the church and the community! His pastorate com- 
bined with that of Dr. Krauss totaled almost one hun- 
dred years. 

Samuel Wagenhals was born at Lancaster, 
Ohio, the son of a Lutheran pastor. Asa graduate of 
Capitol University, Columbus, Ohio, at the age of 
nineteen, he enlisted in the Civil War. In 1865 he en- 
tered the Theological Seminary of the Evangelical 
Church at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Visiting Fort 
Wayne, he preached at Trinity April 9, 1868. A call 
followed, which he accepted after ordination; on June 
10, he became pastor of the English Lutheran Church 
of the Holy Trinity. The congregation numbered nine- 
ty-two communicant members at that time. 

He married Ellen Hamilton, daughter of one of 
the most prominent pioneer families in Fort Wayne, 
and a woman of great native ability. His marriage 
contributed to the inspiring and strengthening of the 
young man and broadened his influence in the commu- 
nity and in his parish. They were blessed with four 
daughters and a son. Dr. Wagenhals believed in ex- 
ercise with the family, and it was a delight to the 
whole community in those days of the bicycle to see 
the Wagenhals family on bicycles together led by the 
white-haired pastor and followed by his five children. 

Dr. Wagenhals was not only a brilliant preach- 
er but a devoted pastor as well. The two essentials 
of an effective minister are the proclamation of the 
Gospel and the comfort of the people by pastoral con- 

13 



cern; "to afflict the comfortable and to comfort the 
afflicted," an old saying has it! In both areas Dr. 
Wagenhals served well, not only by challenging men's 
souls to moral idealism and Christian action but also 
occasionally ministering even to the physical and 
medical needs of his people! He had in his study a 
little laboratory where he kept bottles of various kinds 
of remedies; some of these he concocted himself and 
on his calling -rounds gave to parishioners suffering 
from light ailments. 

He was a real intellectual to whom all philos- 
ophies, arts, and sciences were handmaidens in his 
preaching of the Eternal Truth. As an editorial in the 
LUTHERAN stated: "It is an even thing when you meet 
him whether he will discuss Kant and Lotze with you 
or ask you to join the Seminary Aid Society." 

He took an active part in the discussions of the 
Fortnightly Club in its early days. He was appointed 
to the first Library Committee by the Board of School 
Trustees. This Committee was the forerunner of the 
Library Board, and its duty was to recommend books 
for purchase. He was concerned about good municipal 
government. He believed in municipal ownership of 
public utilities and encouraged the movement that re- 
sulted in the establishment of the City Light and Power 
Plant. Although others sought his help in varied po- 
litical promotions such as the proposed City Manager 
Plan for municipal government, he believed that his 
primary responsibility was to his church, and he de- 
clined to engage in politics. 

His great love was Trinity Church, and that 
love was reciprocated by church and community. His 
great church interest outside Trinity was the Chicago 
Lutheran Theological Seminary. Dr. Wagenhals was 
a personal friend of Dr. William Alfred Passavant, 
founder of the Passavant Hospitals, Epileptic and Or- 
phans' Homes throughout the Middle West. With the 

14 



help of Dr. Wagenhals and others he founded the Chi- 
cago Lutheran Theological Seminary for the training 
of an English-speaking ministry. Large numbers of 
Lutheran Scandinavian and German immigrants were 
coming into the Middle West, and their children would 
want English-speaking pastors. Dr. Passavant was 
the first president of the Seminary board. Dr. Wag- 
enhals succeeded him in 1894 and served for twenty- 
five years! 

The pastorate of Dr. Wagenhals was one of un- 
broken peace and progress. On the fiftieth anniver- 
sary of his pastorate the entire city did him honor. 
Because of increasing infirmities, in the spring of 
1920 he asked for retirement from the congregation. 
His request was granted with the use of the parsonage 
for the rest of his life, and there he died on December 
10, 1920. His successor, Pastor Krauss, at the fu- 
neral service held in a packed church where the Rev. 
Dr. Wagenhals had been pastor for fifty-two years, 
took for his text, Acts 10:38: "... who went about 
doing good . . . and God was with him ." 



15 



IV. 

THE PASTORATE OF THE 
REV. PAULH. KRAUSS, 1920-1970 

In the summer of 1920 Dr. Wagenhals suffered 
a slight stroke. During that summer of Dr. Wagen- 
hals' illness, a young pastor, the Rev. Paul H. Krauss, 
preached as a substitute at Trinity Church, Pastor 
Krauss was the son of the Rev. Dr. Elmer F. Krauss, 
a minister -professor at Chicago Lutheran Seminary, 
a long-time friend of Dr. Wagenhals. When Dr. Wag- 
enhals submitted his request for retirement, Rev. 
Krauss was unanimously called on July 26, 1920, to 
succeed him as pastor of the congregation. 

After his ordination in 1915 Pastor Krauss had 
married Miss Helen Hitchcock, the daughter of a Con- 
gregational minister in Oak Park, Illinois. They had 
their first parish for three years at Mt. Zion Lutheran 
Church, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Following a short 
tour of duty as a chaplain in the United States Navy in 
1918-1919, Rev. Krauss served a year as secretary 
of University Student Work of the Board of Education 
of the United Lutheran Church in America. 

Because of his obligation to the Board of Edu- 
cation, Pastor Krauss could not come until the first 
Sunday in November. This condition was approved by 
the congregation; Rev. and Mrs. Krauss arrived in 
Fort Wayne the last week of October in 1920, and he 
preached his first sermon as pastor on All Saints' 
Sunday, November 7, of that year. Dr. Wagenhals 
had been granted the use of the parsonage next to the 
church as long as he lived, and the Church Council 
provided a parsonage for the new pastor and his wife 
at 1917 Florida Drive into which they moved and where 
they lived until 1936. They adopted a baby daughter, 
baptized Constance Avery Krauss, December 20, 1925. 

Dr. Krauss writes: "We arrived in Fort Wayne 

16 



Tuesday, October 27, 1920, and were received by 
members of the Church Council. In the process of 
getting settled, we were joyfully assisted by Mr. and 
Mrs. Charles Martin, Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. H. 
Hoffman, Mr. and Mrs. John Cook, and Mr. and Mrs. 
Russell Cook. The members of the Church Council in 
that period were Charles F. Pfeiffer, president; Wil- 
liam A . Bohn, vice-president; J. W. Reynolds, secre- 
tary; George E. Becker, treasurer; John F. Bauerle, 
Arnold G. W. Curdes, Henry C. H. Hoffman, William 
H. Plogsterth, W. A. Sheets, Carl J. Suedhoff, and 
R. L. Wilkinson." 

Of that period Dr. Krauss writes: "The con- 
gregation received us with open arms. We both had 
been raised in a parsonage and were accustomed to 
the spirit and life of the Church . A new spirit and life 
began to vitalize new activities. One little incident we 
always remembered with a chuckle. Mrs. Krauss 
had a very striking red hat, and 'Aunt Eliza 1 Rudisill 
(as we called her), then in her late 80' s and a dear 
friend of both of us, once very diplomatically wondered 
to Mrs. Krauss 'whether that red hat was not a little 
too conspicuous for a pastor's wife?'" That was fifty 
years ago! Suppose those old-timers were to come 
back and see today's women's fashions! 

In 1920 there was no young people's society 
other than the Trinity Circle, a group of business and 
professional women. One of the younger people con- 
fided to Mrs. Krauss with tears that they had not had 
a young people's society, whereupon she organized the 
Luther League for the young people, which has func- 
tioned effectively in its various parts for the last fifty 
years . The officers at the beginning were Raymond 
Bohn, president; Paul Weitzman, vice-president; Paul 
L. Stier and Mildred Pfeiffer, secretaries; Ralph W. 
Doctor, chairman, membership committee; Estella 
Sherbondy, chairman, social committee; and Minnie 

17 



Nessel, treasurer. Mrs. Krauss, assisted by Miss 
Esther Erickson, directed a pageant by the Luther 
League entitled, the STRIKING OF AMERICA'S HOUR, 
which was enthusiastically received. 

Women's Work 

The first women's society was organized in 
1859 in the home of Mrs. John G. Maier and was first 
called the Mite Society. It was tireless in promoting 
rummage sales, teas, and congregational dinners to 
raise additional funds for the proposed new church of 
1863. The Mite Society had for its first officers Mrs. 
Henry Rudisill, president; Mrs. JohnG. Maier, vice- 
president; Miss Amelia Rudisill, secretary; Mrs. 
Hannah Orff, treasurer. 

Developing from the Mite Society, the Dorcas 
Society began in 1872, and is now one of the oldest 
women's church organizations in Fort Wayne. Its 
president for twenty-five years was Mrs. A. L. Grie- 
bel. A Twenty-fifth Anniversary Reception was given 
for Mrs. "Addie" Griebel in the church parlors. The 
newspapers of the day reported that the receiving line 
included Mrs. Griebel, Mrs. Theodore Wentz, Mrs. 
Phil Colerick, Mrs. Harry Eckels, and Mrs. George 
Swain. Serving at the coffee table were Mrs. Henry 
Colerick, Mrs. John Bo stick, Mrs. E. F. Sites, Mrs. 
Elizabeth Dawson, Mrs. Charles Freese, and Mrs. 
William Hahn. An amusing item connected with the 
beginning of the Dorcas Society was the note that the 
dues were twenty-five cents a month, but men could 
belong "if they paid fifty cents per month." Also, 
members were fined twelve and one -half cents if they 
were absent from the meetings. In 1923 Mrs. Charles 
Martin organized the Get -Acquainted Circle for the 
purpose of visitation and larger friendship among the 
women of the church. Shortly thereafter, Mrs. Krauss 

18 



organized the first Women's Missionary Society to 
study and promote the cause of foreign missions. 

Because there was a natural amount of friendly 
rivalry between these several women's groups, in 
1927 Pastor Krauss suggested that all be united in a 
Women's Union, with the various interests represent- 
ed by departments and the city divided into five sec- 
tions for more intimate meetings. The General Meet- 
ing was held the first week of the month, and sectional 
meetings were held the third week of the month. This 
arrangement met with success under the fine leader- 
ship of many dedicated members. The Trinity Circle 
consisted of a business and professional women's de- 
partment, meeting the third Friday evening of the 
month. 

The Women's Union later changed its name, in 
response to a general approval of what was thought to 
be a fairer title, to the Women's Guild. The entire 
city was organized into circles instead of sections; 
for awhile there were sixteen such circles. The 
Women's Guild has rendered a very good service in 
the cultivation of inspirational and religious programs 
and the stimulation of the social activities of a large 
parish. To this present day it continues to function 
with great success, and its programs cover a wide 
range of religion and culture from far and wide. 

Two other organizations have added to the 
strong women's programs of the parish, the Altar 
Guild and the Deaconesses. The Altar Guild was or- 
ganized in 1925 to care for the chancel and altar par- 
aments and the Communion Service equipment. Miss 
Minnie Nessel was the first chairman of this Guild, 
and Miss Jeanette Weiss, the present chairman, suc- 
ceeded her. Also, there has functioned a group of 
women called the Deaconesses, who have taken bas- 
kets to the poor at Christmas and sent cards at East- 
er, and who have done much calling in the name of the 

19 



church. Their first leaders were Mrs. E. M. Van 
Buskirk, Mrs. John Klett, and Miss Elva Weller, who 
were followed by Miss Bessie Myers and Mrs. Avon 
Burk. 

The Laymen's Deacon Legion 

An old saying, "There are no laymen in the 
Lutheran Church!" carries great truth --all the fol- 
lowers of Christ, all the members united in the Spirit 
of Christ and constituting the Body of Christ are spir- 
itually on the same basis. The ordained minister is 
one set aside by training for technical service. The 
bishop enjoys no greater spiritual value than the hum- 
blest worshipper in the pew - -before God . That is why, 
in the 125 years of Trinity's "Planting the Church," 
a multitude of laymen and laywomen shared in the 
work of the congregation in the women's activities, in 
religious education, in ushering, in the musical minis- 
tries. Messrs. Henry J. Herbst, Erwin Manth, and F. 
Beach Hall had notably long records as head ushers. 

The men of the church have had special areas 
of productive and proud activities, one of which is 
called the District Deacons. This is a unique group 
organized for special use in a large parish, possibly 
the first of its kind in American Protestantism. The 
entire community was divided into 287 districts, each 
with six to eight families. Each district was presided 
over by a deacon, who had been especially trained and, 
in an impressive service, sacredly set aside for this 
work. 

The district deacon's functions are to call on 
the homes of the members, to contact them when spe- 
cial needs arise, or to help them whenever the occa- 
sion so requires, in the name of the congregation. 
Usually they conduct three formal visitations each 
year. On the last Sunday in September, they go out to 

20 



visit homes to urge return to regular faithful worship 
and to leave such literature about the program of the 
church as might be currently important. The second 
is usually the Sunday before Ash Wednesday, when 
district deacons bring to each home the Lenten pro- 
gram for the Holy Season and urge faithfulness 
throughout the forty days. The third visitation is just 
after Easter, at the beginning of the church's fiscal 
year; in Trinity's case, May 1, following up mailing 
information, they go out to receive pledge cards for 
the every member contributions for the support of the 
church and its missions. Each of these visitations 
was inaugurated with a solemn processional into the 
church and dedication to the specific purpose at hand. 
Recently, the deacon organization has been restruc- 
tured with eighteen zone deacons and some 240 dis- 
trict deacons. In addition, small group training ses- 
sions are held throughout the year to aid the deacons 
in their ministry of listening, caring, and service. 

"An Endless Line of Splendor" 

The historic and memorable church building at 
Wayne and Clinton streets was now being crowded by 
increasing congregational activities and was crum - 
bling. The following Committees were appointed to 
plan for the erection of a new church: 

Building Committee 

John B. Franke, Chairman Miss Abbie Pfeiffer 

Arnold G. W. Curdes Miss Bertha Krudop 

AdolphG. Foellinger W. A. Bohn 

G. H. Heine E. L. Hobrock 

Walter Heit Carl J. Suedhoff 

Henry J. Herbst Theodore Wentz 

Louis C. Steger J. G. Thieme 
Mrs. William Hahn 

The Pastor Ex officio 



21 




gp 2 



6 S 



3£ 



SI 

U «; 



oi -a 



o h 

^ <* - 

■a ■ s 

cd . CO 



u S 



2 co 



Furnishings Committee 

Miss Abbie Pfeiffer, Mrs. J. M. Landenberger 

Chairman Mrs. E. H. Manth 

Mrs. L. F. Eberbach Mrs. Rose Maxwell 

Miss Esther Erickson Mrs. Charles Miller 

Miss Vivian Erickson Mrs. Charles F. Pfeiffer 

Mrs. Wm. Hahn Miss Caroline Pressler 

Mrs. Paul Krauss Mrs. H. C. Rockhill 

Miss Bertha Krudop Mrs. Theodore Wentz 

A suitable site, 170 feet by 150 feet, was pur- 
chased on the southwest corner of Wayne and Ewing 
streets (the Henry C. Paul, Henry Bowerfind, Barry 
O'Connor, and Capron residence properties) "away 
from the noise and crowding of the business section 
and yet convenient to it." Bertram Goodhue, consid- 
ered one of the greatest modern Gothic architects in 
America, drew the plans for the building, and con- 
struction began in March, 1924. Mr. Goodhue had 
been the architect for the West Point Military Acade- 
my Chapel, the Corcoran Art Gallery, Washington, 
D. C, St. Bartholomew's and St. Thomas Episcopal 
churches in New York; concurrently, while drawing 
the plans of Trinity Church, he was completing the 
plans for the Chapel of the University of Chicago, and 
the Capitol Building of the state of Nebraska. 

It is said that when the Cathedral of Chartres, 
on the plain of Beauce in France, was erected in the 
twelfth century, at a time when there was no great 
construction machinery, thousands of Christian be- 
lievers harnessed themselves to great blocks of stone 
and pulled them from the quarries across the plains 
to the cathedral site, led by their troubadours and 
their jongleurs, singing their joy in a magnificent 
spiritual enterprise. It was somewhat in that spirit 
that the people of Trinity Church subscribed to the 



23 



building of their new temple of worship in 1923. (cf. 
MONT- SAINT- MICHEL AND CHARTRES by Henry 
Adams.) 

The campaign to raise funds for the new church 
building met with encouraging success. The total 
amount pledged amounted to $274, 613, and to this was 
added $165,000, a profit from the sale of the old 
church property at Wayne and Clinton streets to James 
Keenan. The sale was negotiated by a committee of 
the congregation, composed of J. B. Franke, O. G. 
Foellinger, and C. J. Suedhoff. The plans were let 
out to contractors for bidding; one of the present ac- 
tive members of the church, with his father, became 
contractor for the new building- -A. C. Wermuth of 
C. R. Wermuth and Son. 

With appropriate ceremonies, the cornerstone, 
inscribed "1924" was laid June 29, 1924. The corner- 
stone from the second church building at Wayne and 
Clinton streets, inscribed "Church of the Holy Trin- 
ity, built in 1863" was laid beside it. Two persons, 
Miss Eliza Rudi sill and E. C. Rurode, were present 
at both the cornerstone laying in 1863 and at the cor- 
nerstone laying for the great new church at Wayne and 
Ewing streets in 1924. In addition, present on this 
occasion were some of the oldest members of the 
congregation: Mrs. William Hahn, Miss Abbie Pfeiffer, 
Mrs. Caroline Heller, Mrs. Louisa Bostick, Mrs. 
Sarah Singm aster Wagner, Mrs. Caroline Sites, Mrs. 
Georgia Meriwether, Mrs. George Thompson, Mrs. 
Eliza Ogle, and George Becker. 

On December 13, 1925, beginning a week of 
elaborate ceremonies, the beautiful new church was 
dedicated by Pastor Krauss. The Rev. N. R. Mel- 
horn, of Philadelphia, Pa., editor of the LUTHERAN, 
the Rev. Dr. E. F. Krauss, of the Chicago Seminary, 
the Rev. Dr. A. N. Hitchcock, father of Mrs. Paul 
Krauss, and local synodical and civic dignitaries 



24 




Chancel and Altar of Trinity Church 



shared in the programs. In the dedication sermon the 
pastor pointed out that all the lines of its architecture 
point to the heavens and remind one of God. The 
spirit of the Gothic lifts the senses and the soul up to 
the contemplation of the Eternal . 

Jean Untermeyer, in the SATURDAY REVIEW, 
describes it as follows: 



Last summer I made my fourth visit to the 
Cathedral of Chartres and nearby bought a small 
stereoscope with exquisitely detailed pictures of that 
incomparable structure. Before giving the fascinating 
toy to the young girl for whom it was intended, I 
showed the pictures to one of the men in my family, 
who remarked with something like an exalted sigh: 
"Here everything goes upward." It struck me then 
that this simple, heart -felt exclamation epitomized 
the spirit of Gothic as truly, if not as richly, as vol- 
umes might do. 



That is, and always should be, the spirit of the Chris- 
tian endeavor. That is, and always should be, the 
spirit of Trinity Church, offering its worship, its 
work, and its wealth to the "Planting of the Church" to 
turn the thoughts of men upward to God. 

A great pipe organ, a carved oak organ screen 
by the Oberammergau wood carvers of the American 
Seating Company, the altar with its triptych mural 
painting of the Last Supper, the work of a New York 
artist, and the carved oak pulpit with the inscription, 
"Predicare Xristum crucifixu" (in abbreviated Medi- 
eval half -Latin, half -Greek, meaning "to preach Christ 
crucified") copied from the pulpit of the historic St. 
Clement Danes Church in the Strand, London, Eng- 
land --all these represent memorial gifts, but the en- 
tire building is replete with memorials, generous and 
beautiful. The Parish House assembly room is Wag- 



26 




Stone Baptismal Font 



enhals Memorial Hall. The new Parish House included 
Sunday School rooms, assembly halls, music rooms, 
and the kitchen. All of the memorials are perpetuated 
in parchment scrolls framed in the narthex of the 
church. The entire operation would have been impos- 
sible without the enthusiastic co-operation of a dedi- 
cated, strong, and able congregation of Christian 
people . 

The total cost, including stained glass win- 
dows, pipe organ, and furnishings, amounted to about 
$645,000. At the time of the dedication, there re- 
mained an indebtedness of a mortgage on the new 
church building in the amount of $150,000 at 5 1/2 
percent interest, requiring payments of both interest 
and principal every six months . These were promptly 
paid, right through the Great Depression, until in 1937 
the mortgage had been reduced to $99,000. It was 
then renewed, and in 1943 was entirely paid off, and 
the mortgage was burned at the Annual Congregational 
Meeting on May 17, 1943. 

The Religious Education Program 
"Let the little children come unto me." 

A religious education program for Trinity 
Church early developed strength under the leadership 
of such members as MissKatherine Shuman(now Mrs. 
Harvuot), Louis C. Steger, Dr. Harry W.Cook, Rob- 
ert Koerber, Jr., Walter O. Menge, Mrs. A. E. 
Askerberg, Miss Esther Erickson, Harry Haller, 
Harold Heine, Luther Keil, Paul Seitz, and Mrs. Paul 
Krauss, and later under its long-time director of re- 
ligious education, Miss Mary Brimmer. Miss Brim- 
mer produced a number of notable pageants and pub- 
lished a textbook entitled, IN THE DAYS OF THY 
YOUTH for catechetical instruction; one hundred thou- 
sand are in use throughout the Lutheran Church in 



28 




EHBK9 








l^j^^^^^gSofc^^^SSj^s^^F 


Sj^^SiiiSS 


1 ^W 


^^^Wj^^g^p^S^^^^S^^f^^tr^t^ 




I^^SS^Sjj^^P^^S^M^J^ 


-J&%$8£&&^~ - "^ "^ 


I 




^^^^^^^^^aJ 


^&>c^fLx i ^r ^fV'jWOl-jf-Jyt . _ ^^MSub\--' J ^ 


SSf^raeU'' - 


*■/ ..,.^,-"'--' ; p-- •;■••■ ' .-'i ■ ;. ,.:-5| 





o 

CO 

ft 




America. She also conducted a Weekday School of 
Religious Education, assisted by Mrs. Martha Coler- 
ick, Mrs. Addie Kampe, and Mrs. Alice Klinefelter. 

A popular contribution of Trinity Church to the 
community has been an unbroken series of baccalau- 
reate services for the senior graduating classes of the 
Fort Wayne high schools for forty -five years, running 
from 1922 until they were discontinued in 1967. The 
speaker was chosen by the high school graduating 
classes every year for such services, which were 
marked by distinguished processionals of the choirs, 
the graduating class, the principals, and class advi- 
sors. In the case of large classes, services were 
held in the high school auditorium or the Shrine Audi- 
torium . 

Another stimulating activity in the area of re- 
ligious education was called Church Nights, a series 
of some four to seven congregational dinners through- 
out the year, for the purpose of congregational get to- 
gethers, friendship, and inspiration. Notable speak- 
ers were engaged, such as Dr. Andrew Cordier of 
the United Nations and Columbia University, Profes- 
sor Paul Kauper, University of Michigan Law School, 
and Karl Detzer of Leland, Michigan, son of the 
congregation, and roving editor of the READER'S DI- 
GEST. 

In 1968 an Adult Education Committee was 
formed as a resource and enabling group for spiritual 
growth opportunities. The Committee has fostered a 
variety of retreats, Bible study and prayer groups, 
seminars, film series, social issue confrontations, 
Church Nights, and family life seminars. 



30 



One Hundredth Anniversary Celebration 
Beginning a Second Century of Service 

Trinity congregation celebrated its One Hun- 
dredth Anniversary on Sunday, April 28, 1946, with 
the Rev. Dr. Franklin Clark Fry, president of the 
United Lutheran Church in America preaching at the 
church in the morning and speaking at a community 
rally in the Shrine Auditorium on that Sunday after- 
noon at four o'clock. As a part of the celebration, a 
Centennial Anniversary Pageant was written and pre- 
sented at the Church Night Dinner by Miss Mary 
Brimmer, assisted by Mrs. E. G. Kampe, Mrs. 
Charles Klinefelter, Mrs. Phil Colerick, Mrs. Victor 
Miller, and Mrs. Erwin Manth. An anniversary 
hymn, composed by Miss Charlotte Eberbach and Miss 
Suzanne Bowerfind, was sung at the dinner to the tune 
of "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the 
Lord . " 

The committee in charge of the Anniversary 
Service included: Mr. and Mrs. Robert Koerber, Jr., 
Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Plogsterth, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph 
W. Doctor, Mr. and Mrs. Louis C. Rastetter, and 
Miss Venette Sites. The Executive Committee for the 
One Hundredth Anniversary Celebration was composed 
of Clarence L. Schust, Miss Esther Erickson, Henry J. 
Herbst, Mrs. Paul H. Krauss, Mrs. Erwin H. Manth, 
Mrs. Ross Strodel, and Carl J. Suedhoff. 

As the congregation approached this One Hun- 
dredth Anniversary, in order to provide for the obvi- 
ous new equipment for religious education that the 
crowded conditions indicated would be required, the 
congregation decided that a memorial fund of $100,000, 
"$1,000 for each year of its history," should be 
raised. The congregation voted that one -third of the 
amount should be set aside for missionary purposes 
and that the balance should serve as a nest egg for a 



31 



new educational building and chapel. The amount 
raised for this Anniversary Fund actually overflowed 
to the amount of $143, 000, of which $33, 000 was con- 
tributed to "missions," notably local mission churches 
in the Fort Wayne area, such as Our Saviour's, Faith 
Lutheran, and St. James Lutheran in New Haven. Out 
of the balance, the Capron apartment next to the 
church and the Lombard residence on the corner of 
Fairfield Avenue and West Wayne Street were pur- 
chased, completing the entire block on Wayne Street 
from Ewing Street to Fairfeild Avenue. 

The Parish House building on the east end of 
the block was already overcrowded, and more room, 
particularly for the work of the Sunday School and 
Christian Education, was absolutely necessary. It 
was voted at the congregational meeting in 1952 to 
proceed with the erection of a new Educational Build- 
ing, Children's Chapel, Cloister Garden, and Little 
Theater, continuing the buildings west to Fairfield 
Avenue. 

The Executive Building Committee was com- 
posed of Executive Committee Chairman Carl J. Sued- 
hoff, Canvass General Chairman Victor V. Miller, H. 
Leslie Popp, and Clarence L. Schust. The Canvass 
Committee for raising funds was composed of Canvass 
Chairman V. V. Miller, Special Gifts Chairman C. L. 
Schust, Team Organization Chairman Carl H. Pierson, 
H. L. Popp, Carl A. Seibel, Herbert E. Weil, Theo- 
dore F. Hagerman, Dr. William R. Clark, ErwinH. 
Manth, Edward W. Young, and Alfred C. Wermuth. 
The General School Building Committee on planning 
and equipment was composed of Mrs. Frank J. Anti- 
bus, Robert I. Benninghoff, Miss Ruth Bittler, Mrs. 
William F. Borgmann, Miss Mary E. Brimmer, Miss 
Ophelia Graeff, Harold L. Heine, Floyd R. Neff, C. 
H. Pierson, PaulW. Seitz, andE. A. Steinhauser. 

Worthy of note is the fact that Carl J. Suedhoff, 

32 



who was one of the members of the original building 
committee for the new church, and frequently a coun- 
cilman, also was the general chairman of the Execu- 
tive Building Committee for the new Educational Build- 
ing, Cloister, and Chapel. It is also worthy of note, 
in this congregation of long pastorates and long lay- 
men's service, that George E. Becker served on the 
Church Council for forty years and for twenty-eight 
years of that time also served as treasurer. In addi- 
tion, Paul A. Boettcher served faithfully for thirty -two 
years as our chief sexton and retired in 1968. 




Dr. Krauss at controls of bulldozer 

A captivating feature connected with the new 
unit was the ground breaking by the children of the 
Sunday School. Each had been given a little shovel by 
Carl H. Pierson, member of the Church Council, in- 
scribed, "Ground breaking for Trinity English Lu- 
theran Chapel and Youth Center, April 11, 1954." 
Led by a band, the cross, and banners, the Sunday 



33 



School marched on that sunny Sunday morning with 
their little shovels from Ewing Street up Wayne Street 
to the Fairfield Avenue corner lot. Melvin H. Heck- 
man and Howard W . Orr were the marshals in charge 
of this inspiring parade. The ritual for ground break- 
ing services was read, and at the proper moment, all 
the children as well as their parents dug into the 
ground and started the excavation for the new enter- 
prise. The little shovels used at the ground breaking 
are kept as cherished souvenirs by members of the 
parish who were present at that historic occasion. 
The Rev. Dr. Joseph Sittler, professor of theology at 
the University of Chicago, was the preacher of that 
day of great rejoicing. Daniel I. Weikel, excavating 
contractor, and member of Trinity Church, as his 
donation to the enterprise contributed all the excavat- 
ing. He began the work on the next day and photo- 
graphed Dr. Krauss in his clerical garments, sitting 
at the controls of a very large bulldozing machine, 
beginning to turn over the earth for the new addition! 

Designed to provide for the Christian education 
of the parish's increasing child population, the new 
Church School building included a Lullaby Room, Tod- 
dler's Room or Nursery, ten modern classrooms, an 
Audio -Visual Theater designed for pageantry and dra- 
matics, a Scout and Game Room, a Teachers' Room, 
and offices for the Dean of Religious Education and 
for the Director of Religious Drama. A communica- 
tions system between the Dean's office and the class- 
rooms is also used to carry church, chapel, and as- 
sembly hall programs to all other areas. 

Cloisters on either side of the Chapel Garden, 
located in the open court formed by the church and 
educational wing, each of the four corners marked by 
inspirational messages on Vision, Confession, Power, 
and Dedication, make the Garden a retreat of beauty 
for meditation and prayer. 

34 



All the children of the Church School are 
trained in the liturgy and worship of the Christian 
Faith by taking part in the Children's Chapel services. 
The Audio -Visual Theater presents religious truth 
through dramatics, pageantry, and motion pictures. 
This program has been developed by our Director of 
Religious Drama, Mrs. Frank J. Antibus, possibly 
the first full-time leader in such an office in the Lu- 
theran Church in America. She is assisted by Mrs. 
George A. Finkbeiner and Raymond N. Seaman. The 
staff pastor in general charge of religious education 
for the past fourteen years has been the Rev. John E. 
Sjauken. 




Cornerstone laying --Children's Chapel 

This new addition was dedicated September 16, 
1956. The sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. 
Charles B. Foelsch, then president of the Pacific Lu- 
theran Theological Seminary. The total cost of these 
new improvements amounted to $600, 000. 

All of the rooms and parlors were memorials 



35 



by generous givers. The Children's Chapel, seating 
150people with the gallery, is especially distinguished 
by its chancel mural painting CHRIST AND THE CHIL- 
DREN OF MEN, a memorial to Thomas Lau Suedhoff, 
a soldier son of the congregation, who was killed in 
the Second World War. 

Trinity Church, with its impressive block of 
buildings facing Wayne Street from Ewing Street to 
Fairfield Avenue, together with the brilliant new Pub- 
lic Library, the impressive new First Presbyterian 
Church, the Young Women's Christian Association, 
Chamber of Commerce, the Scottish Rite Cathedral 
and Auditorium, Plymouth Congregational Church, 
Trinity Episcopal Church, St. Joseph's Hospital, 
Christ Cathedral, the Catholic Social Service Center 
with St. Paul's Catholic Church, and St. John's United 
Church of Christ, constitute a striking grouping of 
civic, religious, and community service buildings, 
convenient to and gracing the heart of downtown Fort 
Wayne. How the eyes of Chief Richardville, General 
Wayne, Father Badin, Rev. McCoy, Colonel Ewing, 
Henry Rudisill, Samuel Hanna, Allen Hamilton, and 
the rest of the pioneers would open wide at the sight! 

"A Lamp of Burnished Gold" 
Missions and Benevolences 

Bishop William Walsham How in one of his 
great hymns prays 



O make thy Church, dear Saviour, 
A lamp of burnished gold, 

To bear before the nations 
Thy true light, as of old. 



Trinity Church, through its benevolent giving to the 
Church at large, has taken an active part in "Planting 



36 




Children's Chapel with mural painting 
CHRIST AND THE CHILDREN OF MEN 



the Church" and shining the light of the Gospel around 
the world, not only paying its annual synodical appor- 
tionment, but also "going the second mile" in the sup- 
port of its own extensive missionary and educational 
program s . 

The special missionary interest of the church 
was stimulated by a women's society organized March 
2, 1921, at the suggestion of Mrs. Paul Krauss, and 
called the Ellen Hamilton Wagenhals Missionary So- 
ciety. This society gave special support to an Ara- 
bian Lutheran girl, Katie Ghawi, seventeen -year -old 
daughter of the Lutheran building superintendent of 
the Jerusalem Young Men's Christian Association. 
The society provided for her education at theLankenau 
Training School in Philadelphia . She then returned to 
Jerusalem for Christian service. 

The Sunday School "adopted" a missionary in 
the person of the Rev. Luther A. Gotwald. When he 
returned to Trinity Church on furlough, the Sunday 
School gave him a handsome station wagon to use in 
his missionary journeys in his district in Guntur, In- 
dia, which was presented officially by the Sunday 
School Superintendent, Robert Koerber, Jr., in the 
presence of the whole Sunday School gathered at the 
Wayne Street entrance of the church, June 22, 1930. 

Other missionaries supported by the congre- 
gation were the Rev. Herbert Kleiner, who succeeded 
Missionary Gotwald, and two medical doctors, Dr. 
Earl Reber and Dr. E. A. Lape, both of whom served 
in the Phoebe Hospital, Monrovia, Liberia, Africa. 
The Charlotte B. Sites Hospital and Rest Home at 
Odarevu in India, the Phoebe Hospital in Liberia, Af- 
rica, and a fund for Christian Youth Camps in Japan, 
directed originally by Missionary James Scherer, also 
constitute a part of Trinity's far-flung foreign mis- 
sionary service. 

It already has been noted that Trinity Church 

38 



has contributed generously to theological education. 
Dr. Wagenhals was president and one of the founders 
of the Chicago Theological Seminary; John B. Franke, 
president of and member of the board of that institu- 
tion; as was also G. H. Heine, H. Leslie Popp, and 
Frederick Pfeiffer. Dr. Krauss came from that sem- 
inary where his father was a professor of New Testa- 
ment Greek for forty -four years. Members of Trinity 
Church endowed professorships to the seminary as 
follows: 

The Mark Singelton Professorship 

The Sophie and Abbie Pfeiffer Professorship of New 

Testament Exegesis 
The Mr. and Mrs. John Bohn Franke Professorship 
of the English Bible (The Frankes also contrib- 
uted the Wagenhals Administration Building in 
the name of their daughter Lucille Franke) 
Trinity Church has also contributed substan- 
tially to the support of the first Lutheran seminary on 
the Pacific Coast, the Pacific Lutheran Theological 
Seminary in San Francisco, California. The Misses 
Mabel and Venette Sites helped to erect a chapel in 
honor of Dr. and Mrs. Paul H. Krauss and the Rev. 
Dr. Charles B. Foelsch, its first president. Other 
members of Trinity have also contributed to this new 
missionary institution. 

Through the Church at large, in addition to its 
support of the seminary, Trinity's benevolences have 
included Wittenberg University, Mulberry Home, Oes- 
terlen Orphans' Home, and the missionary program 
of the Lutheran Church in America. In Fort Wayne it 
has been a supporter of the Associated Churches, the 
Lutheran Social Services, the Lutheran Hospital, and 
Lutheran Homes, Inc. 

Early in 1968, Trinity Church entered into a 
joint ministry with First Presbyterian Church in pro- 
viding a weekday program for neighborhood children. 

39 



Known as the West Central Neighborhood Committee, 
this group has now grown to include Emmanuel Lu- 
theran Church, First Wayne Street Methodist Church, 
Plymouth Congregational Church, St. John's United 
Church of Christ, Trinity Episcopal Church, and the 
Young Women's Christian Association. Together these 
organizations seek to spread the love and concern of 
the Gospel through the Craft Club program, the Tu- 
toring Program, the Aulton Coffee House, the West 
Central Information Center, the Senior Citizens Cen- 
ter, and the Summer Camp Program. In these ways, 
and in many other ways, the life and work of Trinity 
Church, beginning at home, has been planted to the 
ends of the earth . 

Youth Work 
"No Generation Gap?" 

Trinity Church over the years has numbered 
from two hundred to three hundred young people of 
high school and college age annually. From 1930 to 
1970, every year confirmation classes alone have 
numbered from thirty-six to eighty eighth graders. 
They then advance into the young people's societies 
called Trinity Leaders, Luther League, and Young 
Adults, with devotional programs, social activities, 
spiritual retreats, and excursions to the Synod Youth 
Camps of the Indiana Synod. The High School Choir 
and Youth Choir also have been centers of spiritual 
and cultural education. In 1958 Pastor Frazier or- 
ganized the Order of St. John, a group of confirmed 
high school boys, now numbering sixty -two, who serve 
at the altar as acolytes, crucifers, and communion 
assistants and meet regularly for pertinent discussion 
and service projects. Several women today remember 
with pleasure their affiliation as young girls in a so- 
ciety called the Iota Sigma, for friendship, service 

40 



projects, and religious study, under the leadership of 
Miss Mary Brimmer. 

A Friday evening program begun in 1958 for 
seventh and eighth graders and later for eighth and 
ninth graders has continued as a popular community 
recreational program; hundreds of young people at- 
tend, representing almost every denomination and 
area in Fort Wayne . 

For the past ten years the key ministries for 
young people have been service projects, spiritual re- 
treats, small group discussions, and special confer- 
ences. The Lutheran Church in America, the Luther- 
an Church --Missouri Synod, and the American Lu- 
theran Church also promote a synodical basketball 
league in which the young men of Trinity participate. 
These activities were under the leadership of the 
youth pastors, primarily Pastor Frazier for eleven 
years, and now Pastor Pier son. Under this leadership 
the youth are an active and happy part of the Family 
of God . 

Sons of Trinity Who Entered 
the Gospel Ministry 

Trinity Church numbers these sons of the par- 
ish who have entered the ministry: 

Rev. Robert A. Davis 

Rev. Alan C. Doctor 

Rev. Donald E. Elder 

Rev. James S. Ford 

Rev. Ernest E. Habig 

Rev. John P. Hartzell 

Rev. Raymond A. Heine 

Rev. Robert H. Heine (deceased) 

Rev. Charles W. Hoemig 

Rev. Paul L. Keil 



41 



Rev. Arnold O. Pier son 
Rev. Christopher H. Rendleman 
Rev. Toby A. Rendleman 
Rev. James A. Scherer 
Rev. H. Eugene Templar 
Rev. Robert L. Whitenack 
Rev. Richard G. Whonsetler 
Rev. Robert A. Young 

Two Endowment Funds, one for the education 
of young men for the Christian ministry, and the other 
to encourage able young men to consider the Christian 
ministry, have been established by the late William C. 
Moellering, and by Mr. and Mrs. Charles N. Hoemig. 

Staff Pastors 

Over the years Trinity Church has been blessed 
with a fine succession of associate and assistant pas- 
tors, in the following order: 

Rev. Walter O. Oberholtzer 
Rev. KarlG. Peterson 
Rev. Henry V. Kahlenberg 
Rev . Robert A . Boettger 
Rev. O. Garfield Beckstrand 
Rev. Raymond A. Heine 
Rev. L. David Miller 
Rev. James A. Scherer 
Rev. Gideon E. Wick 
Rev. Ralph Ryberg 

Each served from one to three years, approximately. 
In 1956 Rev. Richard G. Frazier and Rev. John E. 
Sjauken were called as staff pastors, followed by Rev. 
Robert A. Young, then by Rev. Arnold O. Pierson and 
Rev. J. Richard Hunt. 



42 



"Trinity Moves Forward" 

In 1962 four synods of the Lutheran Church in 
America voted to combine their theological seminaries 
on a campus adjacent to the University of Chicago. 
At Trinity the pipe organ needed so much repair that 
the builders decided it would be an economy to install 
a new one. In addition, the Indiana Synod needed 
camping facilities for its young people. 

Therefore, Trinity undertook a campaign for a 
period of three years, 1964-1966, entitled "Trinity 
Moves Forward." One hundred thousand dollars was 
contributed for theological education, $15,000 for 
Christian camping, and $105, 000 for a new pipe organ. 
Paul W. Seitz was chairman of this successful cam- 
paign, assisted by Frederick J. Pfeiffer, H. Leslie 
Popp, C. V. Sorenson, Theodore F. Hagerman, and 
Carl H. Pierson. The Music Committee, planning for 
the new organ, was led by Willard T. Plogsterth, Don- 
ald H. Walker, Robert I. Benninghoff, and Paul W. 
Sutter. The undertaking also met with characteristic 
blessing, and the amounts were allocated as indicated. 
A great new pipe organ was built by the original build- 
ers, the Aeolian -Skinner Company, and was dedicated 
with festive services on October 16, 1966. 

"To whom much hath been given ..." 

Over a period of forty years, a series of suc- 
cessful campaigns have been completed to provide 
funds for the Church, Parish House, Educational Build- 
ing, Chapel, and Cloister Garden. These, with their 
organs, stained glass windows, furniture and equip- 
ment, represent a total investment of approximately 
two million dollars. The worship centers are uplift- 
ing in their message; the educational equipment is the 
finest to be obtained; and the social parlors are at- 



43 



tractively beautiful --altogether a magnificent plant 
for the service of God. These campaigns do not in- 
clude the annual missionary and current expense budg- 
ets of the congregation. The hosts of men and women 
who have shared in these campaigns have indeed 
"fought the good fight"! 

A beautiful brochure entitled, A HALLELUJAH 
IN STONE, enriched with fine photographs of the 
church, describing its architecture and equipment, 
was printed as a memorial gift to the congregation by 
Mrs. James W. Mahuren in memory of her husband. 
It is a most attractive record of the art, the beauty, 
and the ideals of Trinity Church, and a copy was dis- 
tributed to each of the members of the congregation. 

Dr. Krauss himself is the author of two books 
used in the parish school program of the Lutheran 
Church in America: LAMP OF BURNISHED GOLD and 
GOODLY FELLOWSHIP. Both describe the Church., 
its origins, its nature, and its purposes. 

"A Joyful Noise Unto the Lord" 

It is probable that more religious truth is 
communicated by the power of music, the great hymns 
and great anthems of the Church, than by sermons! 
The melodies of the hymns and the anthems become a 
part of the personality of the worshipping people when 
many words of the preacher are forgotten. From the 
foundation of the world we read, "The morning stars 
sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy" 
(Job 38:7), as they praised the Love, the Goodness, 
and the Glory of God in the universe. Here again, 
Trinity Church has stressed the power of song in the 
service of God. 

In the pastorate of Dr. Wagenhals, a choir, at 
first located in the balcony with the pipe organ in the 
rear of the church, had led the music worship of the 

44 



congregation. That group included Miss E Stella Mc- 
Clellan (later Mrs. Ralph W. Dick), Miss Hadjie 
Dawson, Hugh Keegan, Miss Josephine Hohman, Miss 
Emma Rurode, and Miss {Catherine Shuman. Willis 
D. Maier was organist from 1864 to 1885, and Fred- 
erick Foellinger was choirmaster from 1864 to 1878. 
During a time of extensive renovation, which included 
the installation of a new boiler and heating equipment, 
a new organ was located at the front of the church on 
the east of the pulpit, and the choir benches were 
placed adjacent thereto. For a short time a boys' 
choir was conducted by Fred Church. 

In 1921 a mixed choir of men and women, suc- 
ceeding the boys' choir, was led by Harry Krimmel, 
who was choirmaster-organist until 1929. Four mem- 
bers of that mixed choir were Mr . and Mrs . Donald 
M. Eckels and Mr. and Mrs. Louis A. Schwan, who 
sang continuously in the senior choirs of Trinity 
Church for forty-five years. In the new church at 
Wayne and Ewing streets with its fine pipe organ, Mr. 
Krimmel developed not only an adult choir to occupy 
the forty-eight seats of the chancel choir stalls but 
also a youth choir. During these periods he was ably 
assisted by Ralph W. Doctor at the organ. When Mr. 
Krimmel left to become business manager of the 
Westminster Choir School at Princeton, New Jersey, 
he was succeeded by Mark Bills as choirmaster; Ralph 
Doctor continued as organist and as choir director 
until the coming of a full-time choirmaster -organist. 
Mr. Doctor's service in the musical ministry covered 
a period of twenty -four years. Mr. Bills, who, curi- 
ously enough in the light of his musical interest, was 
athletic director at North Side High School, remained 
as music director until 1934, when he entered the 
University of Michigan for advance work in education- 
al administration and music. He was followed by Miss 
Florence Lang for a short period, D. Oswald Jones, 

45 



musical supervisor of the Fort Wayne Public Schools, 
and Varner Chance . 

In 1942 the Music Committee called H. Eugene 
Casselman as full-time director of music; he served 
until 1944, and Ralph Doctor continued as organist. 
During this period additional choirs developed, not 
only of adults but of high school young people and of 
little children. The large number and size of choral 
groups necessitated the services of a full-time choir- 
master-organist. In 1946 the first such professional 
was called in the person of the Rev. L. David Miller. 
He later became dean of the Music School at Witten- 
berg University. 

On July 6, 1952, Richard A . Carlson, a grad- 
uate of Indiana University Music School, who received 
his master's degree of Sacred Music at the Music 
School of Union Theological Seminary, was called to 
be choirmaster -organist. He has led a growing mu- 
sical ministry over the past eighteen years. Trinity 
now has an adult choir of forty-five voices, a choir of 
junior and senior high school girls of forty voices, 
and a children's choir of fifty voices. There have 
been additional groups of folk singers, men's and 
women's choirs, etc., which have given musical ex- 
pression to the religious inspiration of the people of 
the parish. The life of Trinity parish has illustrated, 
indeed, the spirit of Timothy Dwight's hymn: 



Beyond my highest joy, 

I prize her heavenly ways, 

Her sweet communion, solemn vows, 
Her hymns of love and praise. 



For thirty years Miss Evelyn Hinton has been 
choir mother, in charge of robes. She is also the 
originator of the winsome practice of giving baptismal 
napkins, fair linen napkins embroidered with a gold 



46 



cross by Mrs. Paul Bolyard, which are presented to 
the parents of newly baptized babies by the pastor. A 
special endowment for the support and promotion of 
the musical ministries of Trinity Church has been 
made by Mr. and Mrs. Harry A. Neff. 

Eminent Lay Leadership In the National Life 

of Lutheranism From Trinity Church 

"Pillars in the Temple of God" 

John B. Franke, treasurer of the General Coun- 
cil, 1918-1922, member and president of the Board of 
Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary for many 
years, member of the Board of English Home Missions 
of theU.L.C.A. 

Walter O. Menge, member of the Board of Pen- 
sions of the U.L.C.A. for several terms, and of the 
Executive Board of the U.L.C.A. for one term . 

Clarence L. Schust, member of the Board of 
Home Missions for twelve years (maximum terms of 
service permitted), chairman of its Church Extension 
Division, and of the Executive Committee of the Board 
of Home Missions. 

Gottlieb H. Heine, member of the Board of 
Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary. 

H. Leslie Popp, Sr., member of the Board of 
Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary of the Luther- 
an Church in America, also member of the National 
Commission on Apportionment of the U.L.C.A. 

C. V. Sorenson, member of National Commis- 
sion on Apportionment of theU.L.C.A. and the L.C. 
A. Foundation. 

Frederick J. Pfeiffer, member of the Board of 
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Chicago. 



47 



Dr. Krauss Retires 

On July 23, 1963, Helen Hitchcock Krauss, 
wife and beloved fellow -worker with Dr. Krauss in the 
program of the parish and community for forty -three 
years, died after a long illness. In 1965, Dr. Krauss 
married a former high school classmate, Mary Adams 
Winter, of Lake Forest, Illinois, who also has entered 
actively in the life and love of the parish. 

At the congregational meeting in May, 1967, 
Dr. Krauss presented a request for retirement, "to 
make room for younger and more energetic leadership 
in so great a program ." The request had been previ- 
ously rejected five years before by the congregation. 
The request was now reluctantly granted, and Dr. 
Krauss was elected pastor emeritus. 

On the occasion of Dr. Krauss' retirement as 
senior pastor of the congregation, the congregation as 
a whole set aside and dedicated the Chapel as follows: 



KRAUSS MEMORIAL CHAPEL 

Consecrated to the worship of Jesus Christ 

and by an act of the congregation dedicated 

on November 5, 1967, to the perpetual remembrance 

of 

Helen Hitchcock Krauss 

1888-1963 

and 

the Rev. Paul Hartzell Krauss, D.D. 

for 47 years, 1920-1967, 

the faithful and beloved pastor of Trinity Church 

in 

appreciation of their loving and able service 



On November 8, 1970, commemorating the 
Fiftieth Anniversary of the first service that Dr. 

48 



Krauss presided over as pastor, a service of cele- 
bration was prepared under the leadership of Pastor 
Frazier for the church and community, marking this 
Golden Jubilee of Dr. Krauss as pastor and pastor 
emeritus. Two overflowing services were held, and 
the sermon was on the same theme as Dr. Krauss had 
used on November 7, 1920, "What is the Church, and 
what is it for?" This sermon was printed by the 
church, and a copy was sent to every member. There 
were newspaper headline stories, and letters of con- 
gratulation were received from President Nixon, Gov- 
ernor Whitcomb of Indiana, and Mayor Zeis of Fort 
Wayne; a host of greetings and congratulations was 
extended by members and friends in the community 
and across the country. 

The following was printed in the November 8, 
1970, BULLETIN and partially summarizes Dr. 
Krauss' ministry in Trinity Church: 



THANK YOU, DR. KRAUSS! 

Thank you! How inadequate are those words to 
express the heartfelt appreciation of a great body of 
people. Yet, we say . . . 

THANK YOU for the investment of fifty years of your 
life with the congregation of Trinity Church . 

THANK YOU for your pastoral heart, vital preaching, 
distinguished leadership, and sense of humor. 

THANK YOU for the guiding hand in the direction of 
this magnificent Gothic church that speaks to ev- 
ery worshipper and passerby of the glow of glory. 

THANK YOU for your example through which God led 
eighteen sons of Trinity Church into the Gospel 
Ministry. 

THANK YOU for a ministry that always placed the 
people of Trinity Church first, although you ably 



49 



served the Chicago Lutheran Seminary, the Ex- 
ecutive Board of our national church and its Boards 
of Theological and Higher Education, the Joint 
Commission on Lutheran Unity that brought into 
being the Lutheran Church in America, and in- 
numerable church and community endeavors. 

THANK YOU for your ministry of presence through 
marriages, funerals, administering the sacra- 
ments, and during crises. 

THANK YOU for the gift to thousands of people across 
the years of a vivid picture of the One who is "the 
Way, the Truth, and the Life." 

THANK YOU for the countless personal meanings and 
ministrations beyond the power of our voices and 
pens to express. 

THANK YOU! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! AND GOD'S 
BLESSING TO YOU AND YOURS IN ALL THE 
YEARS TO COME! 

Among the many Fort Wayne community en- 
deavors and committees served by Dr. Krauss, he 
helped to organize the Community Chest, the forerun- 
ner of the United Community Services, and the Asso- 
ciated Churches of Fort Wayne. 



The Dean of Education in the University of 
Michigan once asked Dr. Krauss, at a social gather- 
ing in Ann Arbor, whether he knew what the two tests 
of a successful ministry were; then, humorously but 
with kindness, since he was an elder in the Presbyte- 
rian Church himself, the dean said they were "to fill 
the pews and balance the budget!" He knew and I knew 
that this was partly in fun. Certainly they are some 
test. The ultimate tests are the quality of the spirit, 
the kind of morals, the capacity for Christian service 
that is generated by the life of the church in its mem- 
bers and in its community. 

50 




Rev. Richard G. Frazier 



THE PASTORATE OF THE 
REV. RICHARD E. FRAZIER, 1967- 

The Rev. Richard G. Frazier, a native of 
Zanesville, Ohio, and a graduate of Wittenberg Uni- 
versity and Hamma School of Theology, who had served 
successfully as staff pastor at Trinity for eleven 
years, primarily in the areas of youth work from June, 
1956, was thereupon called as senior pastor. On Oc- 
tober 1, 1966, he married Miss Sally Stockwell, of 
Birmingham, Michigan, a graduate of the University 
of Michigan and a teacher in the nursing school of that 
university. They have two children, Anne Elizabeth 
and Katherine Ruth. With wisdom, diligence, and en- 
ergy he has given excellent leadership in effective 
preaching, in strong administration, in pastoral min- 
istries, and in personal service. 

The staff was enlarged to meet the demands of 
a growing parish and includes the veteran Rev. John 
E. Sjauken; the Rev. J. Richard Hunt; and the Rev. 
Arnold O. Pierson; Richard A. Carlson, organist- 
choirmaster; Miss Judith K. Scholz, assistant organ- 
ist; Donald H. Walker, business administrator; Wil- 
liam H. Schwartz, parish visitor; and Mrs. Frank J. 
Antibus, director of drama . 

The chief priority of the present staff is a con- 
tinuation of the concepts that brought Trinity Church 
into being under Henry Rudisill and marked its minis- 
try across the years, "to allow the heritage of our 
faith to speak to the contemporary situation and needs 
of people, and to provide opportunities for growth in 
both the heritage of faith and the contemporary is- 
sues." The mode has been through a variety of wor- 
ship, study, and mission ministries, expanded adult 
education and community services, team ministry 
concepts, and goals and needs of the parish for the 
70*s. 



52 



The congregation has responded as always to 
the challenge of new horizons. A 125th Anniversary 
stewardship venture is under way for necessary major 
building repairs and improvements --the buildings in 
some cases are now forty -five years old --and for 
current support and benevolence and missionary pro- 
grams. During May, 1971, there will be a variety of 
celebration events. 

The Continuing Challenge 

In this troubled world of "rending veils and 
falling skies, " only the power of a great religious faith 
can help us. The saving strength in the life of a nation 
is its religious faith. The saving strength in the life 
of Fort Wayne, the "City of Churches," is the reli- 
gious vision and challenge of its temples and churches. 

There is an old story from the life of Michel- 
angelo to the effect that, just after he had finished his 
sculpture of David, he brought an older friend and 
artist to criticize this now world-famous masterpiece 
in stone. The friend looked in silent awe and admira- 
tion at this vibrant figure of life and beauty. Then, 
raising his right hand in salute, he gave it the ultimate 
praise "Now--March!" 

To Trinity Church, with its story of 125 years 
of service, and to all churches and temples every- 
where which plant the Word of God, in a world today 
in so sore need of that Word, comes the command: 
"Now --March!" to work at the continuing task of the 
Lord, that His Kingdom of Peace may come, His Will 
be done, so that, in the words of the Old Testament 
Prophet, 



the earth may be filled with the knowledge of the glory 
of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea! (Hab. 2:14) 



53 



^ 



& 



t^ 



a 



o 






dp 



O^ 



HECKMAN 

BINDERY INC. 

APR 94